Intellectually driven management of natural resources of Green Belt of Fennoscandia (IntellGreenBelt - KA 529)
Key message of the project:
Environment with better services
Objective of the project:
To contribute to socio-economic development of the Green Belt of Fennoscandia (overall objective) by creating the system of sustainable use and conservation of natural resources (hunting, fishing, PA-based tourism, recreation, other activities) (specific objective).
Specialization, Zoning and Conservation Regimens:
Definition of the specialization and functional zoning of pilot areas. PAs resources assessment, specializations & brands. Ecological corridors - delineation, mapping, conservation regimens.
Feasibility study of the Tulos Landscape Reserve.
Sustainable management of game animals and fish resources, development of hunting and fisheries: Estimation of game & fish resources; development of fish & game resource management models; adaptation of the Finnish experience to Russian realities; preparation of development plans for the pilot hunting farms; small investment projects, information support & services related to hunting & fishing.
Promotion of educational excursions and learning tourism:
Preparation of PA development concepts; biosphere reserve planning; landscape-based recreational zoning; introduction of modern know-how, visual markers & small investment projects to promote learning tourism products.
1. Estimates of game and commercial fish resources and the recreational potential in areas adjacent to the Finnish-Russian border
2. Models for sustainable nature use and enhanced reproduction of natural resources in pilot areas
3. Mapped ecological corridors, and conservation regimens for them. Feasibility study for Tulos landscape reserve with allowances for hunting and fishing.
4. Communication and interaction mechanisms between private and public hunting farms and other hunting and fishing organizations, revised farm development plans
5. Progress in sustainable utilization and reproduction of fish resources and in fishing tourism
6. Educational tourism concepts and brands for Kostomukshsky strict nature reserve, Kalevalsky national park and regionally-subordinated protected areas; Biosphere Reserve application.
7. Application of up-to-date know-how for nature conservation (ecosystems, populations of game animals and birds, commercial fish) with simultaneous recreational use of the territory
8. Information support for hunters, fishermen, and learning tourists; environmental education materials
9. Small-scale infrastructure in selected areas. The capacity of enterprise in the hunting and fishing sectors built up through training in trophy processing, organization of hunting and fishing tours, etc.
Lead partner: Karelian Research Centre, Russian Academy of Sciences (KarRC of RAS)
Forest Research Institute of KarRC of RAS; Institute of Biology of KarRC of RAS; Administration of Muezersky Municipal District; Kostomukshsky Strict Nature Reserve; Finnish Environment Institute (SYKE), Joensuu office; Future Missions Oy (non profit company)
Associate(s): Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment for North Karelia; Hunting farm Black Stones LLC; Directorate of regional protected areas of the Republic of Karelia
Total budget: 543 400 €
Coordinator Nadezhda Mikhailova, tel. +79210126070, (814 2) 780109, email:
Project manager Anastasia Vasilieva, tel. +79114113791, (814 2) 780109, email:
Where the project can be found: