Restoration of transborder salmonid rivers (KA519)
Restoration of salmonid rivers Lieksa, Tohmajoki, Hiitola and Lososinka
Objective of the project:
Overall objective - Improvement of environmental and economic preconditions of development of urban and rural settlements through restoration of salmonid rivers Lieksa, Tohmajoki, Hiitola and Lososinka
Specific objective: Creating conditions for restoration of the salmonid stocks in the project rivers by means of research, planning and education.
-Gathering information concerning salmonid fish stocks history and environmental conditions of target rivers on the Finnish and Russian sides.
- Land survey works for Lososinka river
-Field works on Lieksajoki, Hiitola and Tohmajoki rivers
-Works on social impact assessment on Russian and Finnish territory.
- Genetical analysis of salmonid stocks
- Study visit for Russian specialists to Finland
-Training seminar for planners and constructors
-Archaeological research in the area around the lowest dam of Lososinka River
- Elaboration of architectural design of the fish passes for the Lososinka River in Petrozavodsk.
- Elaboration of Ahinkoski fish pass in Tohmajoki River
- Elaboration of design and estimate documentation for the lowest fish passes for the Lososinka River basing on the delivered plan.
- Elaboration of recommendations on restoration of salmonid stocks for the rivers Lieksa, Tohmajoki and Hiitola on the Russian and Finnish sides
- Few publications will be produced by the project
- Construction of the rapid, fish pass and submerged weir at the lowest dam of the Lososinka river in Petrozavodsk.
- Present state and value of the target rivers for production of salmonid fish stocks will be evaluated
- Possibilities evaluated for developing fishing, recreation and tourism along the shores of the target rivers
- Operational directions proposed for sustainable development of the target rivers from the point of view of salmonid fish stocks, fishing management and economy
- Social and behavioral milieu assessed for the project rivers
- Planning and design documentation elaborated for the fish passes of Lososinka river
- Design plan proposed for the fish pass at Tohmajoki river
- Model fish pass constructed around the lowest dam of Lososinka river
- Competence upgraded among the Russian and the Finnish specialists dealing with the environmental management and river restoration.
- Awareness increased over the value of local fish stocks and their genetic diversity and the sustainable use of river resources, among the local population of settlements near the project rivers.
- Complex program of activities aimed at restoration of natural habitats and fish populations in salmonid rivers proposed for further implementation by the regional executive authorities of Republic of Karelia
- Prerequisites created for re-establishing salmon stock in the Lososinka River and widening the area of stocks in other project rivers.
Total budget: 505 997 €
Finnish Game and Fisheries Research Institute - RKTL
Petrozavodsk City Administration, PCA
Northern Fisheries Research Institute, NFRI
Center for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment (POKELY)
Finnish Environment Institute SYKE
Juha-Pekka Turkka (and Markku Kaukoranta, autumn 2013)
+358-405-259-964 (Kaukoranta +358-408-434-726)
Where the project can be found: